Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Handmade Paper


The year of 2006 was spent making paper of all kinds. I fell in love with this lost art! I have now included various handmade papers to my store in hopes people will have access to traditional papers you can't find in craft chain stores.

My latest addition is called Amate paper. This is an old world, or ancient, technique of making paper originating in Mexico and is still being made in San Pablito today.

While some may say the price of this sheet of paper I am offering is a little steep, I am not actually making much in terms of costs of materials, preparation time, production time and finishing time. It takes upwards to 2 days to make one sheet of this paper but it is worth it. Amate is probably my favorite type of paper to make and I'd like to share it with others who would not have the opportunity to experience such a beautiful piece of art. (Please note, my paper is not as good as the professionals :)

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

I've never tried papermaking, but I've been tempted. Handmade paper is one of my favorite things.